Key organisations helping with Law & Courts

Law Society

The Law Society keeps a register of all solicitors and law firms in England and Wales. Use their online search to find a solicitor. You can narrow down by area of law, languages spoken, disabled access and whether they accept legal aid. You can also use the ‘pro search’ to search for solicitors with specialist accreditations.

Helplines not open to members of the public

Herts Law Clinic

The University of Hertfordshire run a free law clinic. Law students, supervised by solicitors, offer free legal advice in the following areas: Employment, Family, Housing, Intellectual Property, LGBT+, Power of Attorney, Property and Consumer.

T: 01707 284115


RCJ Advice

Royal Courts of Justice Advice is a Citizens Advice Service based in London. They can assist families from all over the UK who have a case in a family court. They can advise and, in some cases represent, you for free.

T: 020 3475 4373


Civil Legal Advice

Civil Legal Advice is the government service responsible for assessing eligibility for legal aid for civil (family, money, personal injury etc.) court matters. If they assess you as eligible for legal aid, you will be put you in touch with a qualified solicitor who can help you.

T: 0345 345 345 Mon-Fri 9am-8pm, Sat 9am-12.30pm

Minicom: 0345 609 6677 Mon-Fri 9am-8pm, Sat 9am-12.30pm

Text ‘legalaid’ and your name to 80010 to ask CLA to call you back

McKenzie Friends

A McKenzie Friend can accompany you to court to help you as a Litigant in Person. A Litigant in Person is someone who is unrepresented by a Solicitor or barrister. A McKenzie Friend is able to sit with you in court and offer advice and support, as well as taking notes to help you.

T: 0333 5678 333